- 3C Bar & Restaurant: Corner Victoria St and Chews Lane, Te Aro, Wellington
- Assurity Board Room: Level 7 Todd Building, 95 Customhouse Quay, Wellington
- Auldhouse Training: Level 8 Lumley House, 11 Hunter Street, Wellington
- Aura Infosec Office: Level 12, 79 Boulcott St, Wellington
- BNZ Harbour Quays Meeting Room: Level 4 BNZ Harbour Quays, 60 Waterloo Quay, Pipitea, Wellington
- Catalyst Small Room: Level 6, Catalyst House, 150 Willis St, Wellington
- Catalyst Training Room: Level 6, Catalyst House, 150 Willis St, Wellington
- Enspiral Board Room: Level 2, 89 Courtenay Place, Wellington 6011
- Enspiral Red Room: Level 2, 89 Courtenay Place, Wellington 6011
- Insomnia Security Meeting Room: Level 1, iCentre, 50 Manners St, Wellington
- Lateral Security Office: Level 5 GlenEagles House, 69 The Terrace, Wellington
- Meow: 9 Edward St, Te Aro, Wellington
- San Fran: 171 Cuba Street, Wellington
- Secret Underground Lair: Undisclosed
- The Ballroom Billiards Saloon: Level 1, 68 Courtenay Place
- The Malthouse: 48 Courtenay Pl, Te Aro, Wellington
- The St James Foyer, Ground Floor: 77-87 Courtenay Pl
- The St James Theatre: 77-87 Courtenay Pl
- The St. James Theatre, Level 1: 77-87 Courtenay Pl
- Training Location A: TBA
- Unconfirmed Location: To be advised
- Wrights Hill Fortress: Wrights Hill Road, Karori
Well, after an Opera House we were hooked on Big, Awesome and Ridiculous.
Kiwicon this year is using the famous St. James Theatre - again in Wellington CBD.
Positioned helpfully on Courtenay Place ( the street that provides most of Wellington's appallingly dressed nightlife) The St. James is world renowned for it's performance space. Ideal for dance, opera, musicals and cabaret, the website claims.
Turns out it's also pretty great for Hacker cons.
Like last year's Opera House it also has an on-site bar, but it also has an onsite cafe, and two onsite coffee cars. And a grand piano under the main stairs.
But best of all: this time we got approval to use pyrotechnics...
Consult the map below for more details.
Wellington is located at the southern end of New Zealand's creatively named North Island (or Te Ika-a-Maui).
It is serviced by Wellington airport, located a mere 10km from downtown Wellington and Kiwicon. Wellington central is compact, with the majority of interesting bits within close stumbling distance. Taxis and buses are easily located.
International flights into Wellington are offered by Air New Zealand and Qantas. Virgin pretends to by virtue of codesharing with Air New Zealand. Jetstar fly domestically, but don't do it to yourself. You're better than that.
Train services into Wellington from the surrounding suburbs are effective when not broken, late or on fire, but long distance rail is largely a waste of time and money. Intercity buses and Ferries are available from other areas of the North and South Islands.
You could try one of the following places:
Here are a couple of other sites that may be of use when looking for accommodation:
Travelbug.co.nz - Accommodation in Wellington
Tourism.net.nz - Wellington City Backpackers and Budget Accommodation
Wotif.com - Last Minute hotel deals in Wellington Central
Several points of interest to Kiwicon haxors have been placed on the map below. Click on the icons to retrieve more info, or follow this link for a list of locations. There's more things on the map than you can see in the initial view, so scroll around, zoom in and out.
The main Kiwicon venue is the red biohazard symbol...